How to Recover from the Cruel Jewel 100. A 15 Step Program:
1) Sit down in a chair immediately after finishing and drink a Sprite, I think. That way you don't fall on your face.
2) After 20 Minutes get up (that takes 5 minutes) and go in the meeting room and eat bacon and eggs and drink a little coffee. They were making pancakes but somehow I never got one.
3) Head to your lodging - Take "Catnaps" along the way!
Catnap 1 - Vogle State Park to Blairsville courthouse, 10 miles
Catnap 2 - Blairsville Courthouse to gas station, 1 mile
Catnap 3 - While Marye Jo filled the tank.
4) Interrupt Catnaps - Drive 200 ft across street to McDonald's for Large Chocolate Shake. Drink Shake in the next two miles headed to lodging.
Catnap 4 - 15 Miles - From where I Finished the shake to Blue Ridge grocery store.
Catnap 5 - While Marye Jo entered store to get salad for lunch.
Catnap 6 - 8 Miles to English Manor B & B.
5) Go directly to room and "BRUSH TEETH!!!" I may take a tooth brush next 100.
6) Take a shower.
7) Lay down on bed and pass out.
8) Wake up and get out of bed - Marye Jo said I slept 3 hours. I think it was 3 minutes!
9) Go to Riverside Restaurant on the Toccoa River and eat a huge plate of Fried Shrimp and French Fries followed by a large slice of Pecan Pie covered in caramel/bourbon sauce. (That's the restaurant at the lower end of "Stanley Gap Road." It's on the race course Just down the road from the old iron bridge over the Toccoa.)
10) Go back to room and have a glass of wine on the deck.
11) Go to bed before totally dark and sleep 10 hours.
12) Eat Breakfast at B&B.
13) Drive 2 hours to Chattanooga and go to Bluff View Arts District.
14) Eat what is possibly the worlds best Lasagna at Tony's Pasta Shop & Trattoria.
15) Go across the street to Rembrandt's Coffee House and have a Chocolate Eclair or slice of Chocolate Decadence pie with a large Latte. Actually any of the deserts in Rembrandt's will do.
I am now fully recovered and ready to run another 100 this weekend.
Forget that. Hopefully I will, at least, be ready for the Memorial Day Trail Race this weekend!
The Riverside Restaurant in Blue Ridge. (Actually about 8 miles out of town. Well worth the drive, even after CJ.)